Current Setup: 2020 June Beginning
Here's what I'm using currently.
Painting: Krita + David Revoy's Hardpainting Brushes + MyPaint Color Combo
- Aiming to get a new computer soon
- Krita + ink brushes + hard-edged basic blender
- David Revoy's hardpainting brushes for canvas texture
- Challenges: finishing / painting fast
- New technique: doing a written description of an image before painting. Very effective.
Initial work on a fanart for Hollow Knight went quickly, but I struggled in the middle. I did not do a full b/w version in the beginning and that was likely a large part of the problem. Someday I would like to be sufficiently skilled with color to jump right in without a grayscale underpainting, but thus far it seems that only leads to a large amount of later reworking and frustration.
Anki: Recognition RTK + Premade subs2SRS decks
- Similar to AJATT's Lazy Kanji, it's the easiest possible method.
- Had to reformat default card for subs2SRS decks (default had blank reverse)
- Many kanji that I can recognize but not write, so I've been failing reviews on my default deck (KanjiDamage Reordered)
- Not literate yet, but getting there. Also noticing that I am recognizing certain kanji specifically even if I cannot remember the corresponding keyword.
Word processing: Vim
Weird, yes, but:
- syntax highlighting for markdown
- not ugly (hard to be ugly without a UI)
- multi-window/-buffer options